Virtualization software is a special type of software that allows a business to set up a virtual machine or virtual network in their organization. All your computers can use the same physical resources through a guest operating system, which the virtualization software creates for you.
Essentially, you dedicate one computer to run the virtualization software. What you gain from that is multiple operating systems – all on one computer.
When you set up a computer this way using virtualization software, each additional operating system you load on that computer causes that computer to operate as a separate computer. So if you have a computer with 5 operating systems loaded onto it, then you have 5 computers. It’s like you’ve multiplied your computing assets.
The benefits to doing this are numerous:
- It allows you to consolidate servers and operate more efficiently
- It conserves energy and turns your office or business into a “green” business
- It’s easier to manage several virtual machines than several real machines
- You can reduce your backup and recovery time
- Testing software configurations is more streamlined
- You can use old software applications that may not be compatible with new operating systems by setting up a virtual machine just for them
- You can run cross-platform applications easier and more efficiently
Now that you know the benefits of using virtualization software, which one is right for you? Well, now, that’s a different story.